Wednesday, September 17, 2014

It’s all coming clear(er)!


St Andrew's 
On Friday, I had the time to do a little exploring and managed to ride the Light Rail and the Bus with little or no anxiety.   I had learned the day before that the #34 bus not only took me directly to the new office from the bottom of my hill (not including the walk from the stop to the office which is also downhill), but that it took me past places I now recognize, some that I've visited, and right past the stop to visit St Andrew’s Scots Memorial Church, Church of Scotland, (Presbyterian). A lovely place with a rich history, built to honor Scottish soldiers who died here during the First World War liberating the land from Turkish rule, ending the Ottoman Empire. 




 

 The church and guest house (The Scottie) were built on a hill overlooking the Old City, in fact, the walk to the Jaffa Gate, is about 10 minutes from the front door of the guest house, well, maybe 11.  I also learned that The Church of Scotland now in cooperation with the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem has an English Language school in Jaffa, the Tabeetha School which welcomes Christian, Jewish and Muslim children!  How about that?



The worship is traditional and comfortable, the congregation made up of foreign workers, locals and tourists, the Clerk of Session runs the show, and they have a fair trade gift shop which I plan to visit. I must admit I really miss worshipping with my family and home, and I REALLY miss playing my guitar and singing in the Praise Band, but for now, this seems right, I think I’ll go back!





And the desert shall bloom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment