Saturday, June 6, 2015

Well, the watermelon was healthy, right?

The end of the school year is fast approaching, and with that the end of school extravaganza POOL PARTY! So today the kids had an
in-house fundraiser for that event.

About a half hour before my second class ends, the kids were dismissed to the center courtyard to set up a snack Kiosk filled with lovely delights, exactly at lunch time.
Someone has thought this one through!



So, for lunch I had, in no particular order:
A small piece of chocolate cake with sprinkles,
Two chocolate covered cubes of vanilla ice cream,
A sandwich size bag of popcorn,
Another bag of popcorn,
A cup of watermelon chunks,
A pancake,
A heart cookie with sprinkles,
Two small pieces of maple cake,
A cup of turmos beans,
Oh my gosh, a second cup of turmos beans for later, these are so good!
Two more chocolate covered ice cream cubes (shared one with the students selling them),
A cup and a half of Israeli Chex Mix (end of the batch and I paid him double),
A third bag of popcorn (all three went in my bag for later),
Two pieces of strip candy that I can’t eat so I shared,
A cup of coke (because the grape juice pack was not at all inticing)

The math was easy, everything cost 1 shekel so, including the ‘tip’ I had one of the least healthy lunches of my adult life and a great time doing it for about 20 shekels!

Now in my defense of the many sweets, when I say small, think bite sized, literally, it was a fundraiser after all.

Now don’t judge me, you already know I’m a sucker for furry creatures and lizards, well I guess you can add kids to that, especially ‘my’ kids.


For those of you who aren’t familiar with turmos beans, you're in good company.  During the break between classes, the English teacher I work with shared some with me.  I thought they were chick peas so when she asked if I knew what they were I said, “Yes, chickpeas.” No she said and told me what they were, which of course didn’t help.  She’s Jewish and these are an Arab snack and she really had no clue  what exactly they were either.  When I found them at the sale later, of course I had to buy some and look them up later.

If you’d like to know more about Turmos beans, visit:
http://www.greenprophet.com/2013/04/lupines-traditional-middle-eastern-snack-food-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment