Sunday, March 8, 2015

T is for Tzedakah and Thank You Cards!


"Tzedakah" is the Hebrew word for the acts that we call "charity" in English: giving aid, assistance, and money to the poor and needy or to other worthy causes. But the nature of tzedakah is very different from the idea of charity.”(1)

We recently had a sweet example of Tzedakah from a group of 2nd graders in Eugene Oregon. 

Cards from the States!



The teacher from the Talmud Torah program had donated on line after the arson attack at the Jerusalem School last November.  In an envelope with another donation and handmade cards from his class came a letter from the teacher who explained, “My class collects Tzedakah at the start of every class session and we wanted to contribute money toward the repair of the fire damage done to one of your schools last month.”


He asked for a reply so that he could share it with his students as they learn about g’milut chasadim -deeds of loving kindness. (2)







We took the cards from his second grade class to our fourth graders for their response (remember our kids start learning English in the 3rd Grade)  The English teacher and I talked to them about the kids in the states and how they were learning Hebrew kind of like they were learning English.  We did a quick geography lesson to find Oregon on the map, and then we had them read the cards that the kids from the states had sent.  






Next we talked about what to write back.   We didn’t want to write the cards, but we knew they’d need some help, so we brainstormed with the class and came up with several broad statements, then set them loose to write their responses.  Lynn, their teacher and I circulated, helping with spelling and such.  Two of the boys wanted to send a joint response, so we worked on “I am” and “we are” transitions.  Most of the students picked one or two of the statements we’d come up with, added something of their own creation, then decorated their cards with pictures and stickers!







Some of my favorite messages from the states?  “I’m sorry for what you had to go through, I hope you are ok, I hope to send money to help you. I am sorry, don’t lose hope for peace in Israel. Love…”   “Dear friends, I am sorry for you, Have a good day.”  “Dear People. I’m sorry what happened. “Down with the terrorists, Up with the world!””  “…we sent money to help fix your school.  I hope no one got hurt.” “Sorry your school got damaged. I wish your school didn’t get damaged.  I’m hoping it will help that we sent money.” But my all-time favorite greeting was, “Dear Unfortunates” (every class has one, right?)
 





 (1) For the full article on Tzedakah, click here  http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/tzedakah.htm

(2) For more information on g’milut chasadim 










because everyone knows there are cats in Israel 



No comments:

Post a Comment