Friday, November 21, 2014

It’s not all sunshine and lollipops is it.


I've shared with some of you that it’s been a tense couple of weeks in the neighborhood. Several weeks ago, a horrible driver who turned out to be a terrorist, drove into the platform of the Light Rail at Ammunition Hill, killing a 3 month old and later a second person who succumbed to their injuries in the hospital.  Then there was a shooting of a Knesset member.  Last week there were more attacks, confrontations with the Jerusalem police, another terrorist car attack at the light rail, and a tragic “accident” planned and executed by a member of Hamas.  This Tuesday saw the attack during morning prayers at a synagogue that left four dead and a policeman gravely injured and packed my facebook and inbox with concern messages from home.   

The university is of course concerned with the welfare of their students, so we have gotten regular updates regarding heightened security and awareness as well as locations we should not frequent.  We are all aware that we live in a potentially dangerous city, so it is safe to say we all pay closer attention to our surroundings, and avoid those places we’re asked to avoid. 

But I ask, are we really safe anywhere? I’m watching the insanity that continues to unfold in Ferguson Missouri from my dorm room in Jerusalem, and wonder, do people stop going to St Louis because of it? Even when the danger intrudes into the city and shows up at Rams games or the Symphony, how do we respond to the danger and evil at home?   

I can’t help but see the correlation between the dangers and evil in our world and the culture drifting further and further from our faith and heritage in scripture.  As the children of God forget the God who loves them and submerge themselves in the world around them, things go wrong, often in dramatic and devastating ways.

Happily for me, you probably see more news from Israel than I do.  I don’t have a television so I’m not seeing instant replays over and over or hearing sound bites that sell advertising for the networks mired in the 24/7 news cycle .  I don’t have a radio so I can’t hear immediately where an attack is going on.  I can hear the fireworks explosions from my dorm room at night (along with Molotov cocktails the current assault weapons of the protesters) and I admit that is troublesome because I know what is going on, but life goes on all around me.

I would ask that you continue to pray for Israel and all of her people.  I have come to believe that the word complicated was originally created to be used here, not for personal relationship status’ on social media.

Remember to visit the Hand in Hand website and facebook page to keep up on the way they are working through these times, not ignoring reality, but facing it head on. 


Unhappily, I see more bad news online both from Israel and the United States, so now I’m going to spend some time looking up adorable kitten videos on the internet.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgcIBRxjBjY
http://www.handinhandk12.org/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hand-in-Hand-Center-for-Jewish-Arab-Education-in-Israel/132094370146131





1 comment: