Saturday, October 18, 2014

Window Shopping

I think I've walked past this little shop in the city center maybe seven or eight times since I've been here. It’s around the corner from the Light Rail and bus stops, up from the book store and down the street from the Aroma coffee shop.   Just one of the myriad of shops in the warren of streets and alleys off Jaffa and King George, but kind of sad and lonely.  The smell reminds me of the shoemakers shop on Teutonia Avenue in my old neighborhood growing up in Milwaukee.  A leather crafter, local guy, I've never see anyone coming in or going out.  

I keep coming back to look at one purse in particular, hanging there in the window, hoping someone had bought it because, well, I really wanted it and I was afraid to find out that I couldn't afford it.  I would just stop and look and enjoy the fragrance of real leather wafting through the door, the real reason I used to walk through the Wilson’s Leather store in Carbondale, I love the smell of leather.  I felt a little like a stalker, trying to catch a glimpse of the object of my desire.  Ok, sorry, that was a little creepy.

Today after church I wandered down from the Jaffa Gate to the shops, just to look, not to buy, and I found myself looking at purses here and there.  Imitation leather mostly or canvas, some day packs mostly from China, go figure. I could survive without a purse, I have a great backpack for work days, but on those days when I’m just exploring it would be nice to have something smaller, nicer.  Oh heck, it’s a girl thing, I want a purse.  But I’m also frightfully frugal.  I didn't really want to spend 100 shekel on an imitation leather bag, or 160 for another backpack or a canvas bag.  If I’m going to spend money on something I don’t really need, I want it to be something that will last and I can take home with me.  Something that I really like, and want!

So, here I am again.  I’m in front of the little store, telling myself that I really don’t need a purse, not the one in the window, or, wait a minute, not that one in the shop either, or the one next to it.  Nuts, I’m in the store and the really nice man looks so happy that I've come in.   He’s turned down the radio and turned up the lights. I tell him rak anglit, (I only speak English) and he says “how fortunate for me.”   Did I mention he is really nice?  He proceeds to tell me that he only uses real leather that is left over from making furniture, (at this point I am holding one of the bags and thinking how amazing a couch covered in this would be).  He says that he will reduce any price by 10% and then prices are negotiable.  I admit to him that I am not good at bartering, and he says “That’s ok, I will give you a good price.”   

So I decide that the bag in the window, the one that has been calling to me all this time is the one that I want.  He asks if the strap is long enough and switches it with one that is longer AND included the shorter strap so I can use either one as I like.  He gives me more than a 10% discount and I leave the store a happy shopper.  As I leave he turns the lights down and the music up, and I think, we’re both happy.


I have always preferred to shop locally.  I love supporting local crafts people and companies.  I won’t shop on Black Friday, but love Small Business Saturday, so this made my day, week, heck, maybe year. Plus, I have a lovely memento from Jerusalem.


1 comment: