Friday, August 29, 2014

Groceries

It’s Thursday night, I’m sitting in my room having the best cottage cheese I can remember ever having.  Not only is it creamy and wonderful, it is flavored with olives.  I didn’t have a clue what I was buying at the supermarket, except that I like olives and it was in the dairy section near the package that I knew was regular cottage cheese because my roommate has some.   Cottage cheese and eggs seem to be the ramen noodle of Israeli students, at least the few I’ve met.  I approve.  Not that I dislike ramen noodles, but they sell cottage cheese and eggs here, I haven’t seen noodles.  I took a chance on a bag of what looked like pita chips, Score!  Not only are they pita chips but they are spicy, very yummy.  Had some with the Hummus that I didn’t guess on, I know what hummus looks like, plus it was in the same container we buy it in at home. 
As I was pondering the instant coffee selection, a nice German man said to me in English, the Jacobs Kronung was the best choice plus it was on sale.  If Germans made it, he said, it is the best. I took a chance, and Score again! For instant coffee it is very good.
So what you see before you are the fruits of my first solo shopping trip.  For a mere 108.24 Shekels or about $36.08 US and yes that’s a little Packer guy on the Olive Cottage Cheese. 
I visited with Noa at Hand in Hand again today.  I have directions that I’m pretty sure I can’t mess up to take the bus to the school on Sunday evening for an “Event” they have been having for a while, kind of a family walk in the park.  Then on Monday, I’ll go back to the school for the orientation and meet the staff at the office and start to find my place.  
Here’s a small world moment for you. I met a young man today who applied to Hand in Hand recently.  He said when he met with the principal he said “What is it about this school, everyone looks happy to be here?”  He said several times that this school is not what he expected nor is it typical but he thought it was wonderful. 
So that’s about it for today.  I hit the “three day wall” that my traveling friends reminded me would happen. I think that means that I am on the downhill slide to jet lag recovery.   

And in case you’re wondering? The folks in housing said the pomegranates are there for everyone.  Now I just have to figure out how to reach them.  

1 comment: