Saturday, July 19, 2014

Questions, questions, questions.



Of all the questions I am asked surrounding my trip to Israel, the one I hear most is of course, “Aren't you scared?”

Am I scared? Not exactly. Well...no, no I'm not scared. That doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to the conflict, or the regional neighbors, or the intent of many of those neighbors to destroy Israel, I am not scared, but I am aware. Life happens, and I happen to be going to a place in the world where particularly dangerous things are happening and we're all watching. I'm not scared, but I'm not foolhardy and interestingly I got the same question when I went to Detroit and Chicago.

I don't mean to dismiss the concerns of my many dear friends and family who see the news and hear about the violence and thankfully, because that's what friends do, they worry. I know there will be potential danger and yet these words from Gary Haugen, the founder of International Justice Mission challenge me. “Here is one choice that our Father wants us to understand as Christians, and I believe this is the choice of our age: Do we want to be brave or safe? Gently, lovingly, our heavenly Father wants us to know that we simply can't be both.”

And these words from Joshua encourage me, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Am I scared? Not yet.

* * *

Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian, Gary A Haugen, Inter-Varsity Press/2008

http://www.handinhandk12.org/news/hand-hand-continues-respond-ongoing-violence-continual-updates



No comments:

Post a Comment